Peptic ulcer is an eroded lesion in the inner lining of the stomach and the adjoining intestinal tract called the duodenum. The ulcer located in the stomach is known as gastric ulcer and the ulcer located in the duodenum is known as duodenal ulcer. Both together is termed as peptic ulcer.
Sever pain and discomfort in the upper part of the abdomen is the major symptom of peptic ulcer. Pain is gastric ulcer usually occurs after the meals and rarely at night. Duodenal ulcer the pain occurs between meals and is relieved after having food especially by milk. The disease progresses with excessive flatulence, mental tension, insomnia and gradual weakening of the body. Blood might also be detected in the stool.
Causes of peptic ulcer are:
- Hyperacidity which is cause due to increase in hydrochloric acid is stomach causes ulcer in the stomach. Overeating, taking heavy meals or having highly spicy food, coffee, alcohol or smoking can result in this condition.
- Indigestion of certain drugs, food poisoning, infection, gout, emotional disturbances, stress and nervous tension can be other causes for peptic ulcer.
Home remedies to cure peptic ulcer are:
- Consuming more bananas can be very effective remedy to cure. Banana neutralizes the over acidity of the gastric juices and reduces the irritation of the ulcer by coating the lining of the stomach.
- Leaves of wood apple is another effective remedy. Fifteen grams of leaves soaked in 250ml of water overnight and drank the following morning will help relief the pain and discomfort of the stomach.
- Lime juice helps in digestion. Lime is rich in citric acid and mineral salts that soothe digestion.
- Cabbage is another useful home remedy to cure peptic ulcer. 250gm of cabbage boiled in 500ml of water and taken twice daily is very helpful. This juice can also be combined with carrot juice and taken.
- Tea made of fenugreek seeds is also helpful to cure peptic ulcers.
- Leaves of kalyana murangal tree a variety of drumstick found in South India should be grounded and take with yogurt. This helps heal the ulcers.
- Vegetable juices especially carrot and cabbage are very beneficial in treating peptic ulcer. Carrot juices take with spinach juice or beet juice or cucumber juice can also be very helpful.
- Almond milk prepared from blanched almonds are also very useful to treat peptic ulcer as it supplies high quantity of protein.
- Goat’s milk taken three times daily is also beneficial to treat peptic ulcer.
Diet for peptic ulcer should include lots of milk, cream, butter, fresh vegetables and fruits as they are natural supplements of vitamin.
Daily massage and deep breathing exercise also help. Avoid stress and over work.