Leg cramps as basically involuntary contraction of a single leg muscle or a group of muscles often experienced by older patients. These cramps usually occur in the calf muscle, the hamstring, the hamstring and the quadriceps. Leg cramps can last for less than a minute or sometimes can last for several minutes.
Severe pain in the leg, tenderness of muscles and inability to move the leg for the duration the cramp lasts are common symptoms of leg cramps.
Leg cramps are caused due to:
- Muscle fatigue due to overexertion.
- Straining exercises
- Excess weight
- Fluid or hormonal imbalance
- Medication side effects
- An unusual workout routine
- Lowered blood supply
- Never abnormalities
- Nerve and muscles diseases.
Suggested home remedies to cure leg cramps are:
- Continuously stretching the painful muscles.
- Massaging the leg in pain regularly will help relax the muscles and ease the pain.
- Taking hot shower also relaxes the sore muscle.
- Applying cold pack on the painful area is also beneficial.
- Apply warm towel or heating pad will have alleviate pain.
- If the calf muscle is cramped, it is advisable to stretch the leg and massage it continuously with the toes pointing upwards towards the head.
Patients suffering with regular leg cramps should increase the consumption of water and stay hydrated throughout the day. Consume fluids and water before, during and after exercising. Stretching of muscles before workout is advisable as it relaxes the muscles and prevents cramping. During exercise it is recommended that one begins workout with at a slow pace and then gradually increase the pace. It is also recommended that while sleeping patients place a pillow under their legs or ride a stationary bicycle of few minutes before going to be. Potassium and calcium rich foods are also recommended as the will help prevent cramping episodes.