Laryngitis is a condition caused due to inflammation of the voice box or the larynx.
Symptoms of Laryngitis include:
- Hoarseness in voice.
- Constant irritation in throat or sore throat.
- Fever, congestion and cough.
- Laryngitis if severe can also result in loss of voice.
Causes of Laryngitis include:
- Bacterial, viral or fungal infection.
- Infectious disease such as tuberculosis and syphilis.
- Allergies and respiratory diseases like bronchitis and sinusitis.
- Over use of vocal chords due to shouting or cheering on top of the voice.
- Excess smoking or alcohol consumption.
- Prolonged cough.
- Exposure to atmospheric irritant or harsh conditions.
- Gastroesophageal reflux.
Home remedies to cure Laryngitis include:
- Salt water gargle is the best remedy to cure sore throat. Half teaspoon of salt mixed in a cup of warm water and gargled several times in a day will help cure sore throat immediately as this kills the infection.
- Gargle with an antiseptic and antibacterial mouthwash as it kills all the germs.
- A solution made with equal amount of water and vinegar will help kill the bacteria and soothe the throat.
- If the sore throat is severe it is advisable to consult a doctor.
Diet to cure laryngitis comprises of consumption of plenty ginger and garlic as these have got anti-microbial properties and also boosts the immune system. Hot cup of ginger tea taken daily can do wonders in curing the larynx.
It is also recommended that the prescribed medications be taken properly. Proper rest should be give to the larynx. Over strain must be avoided, whispering will be a good change. Using humidifier is also good as it will make the air moist, thus avoiding irritation of the throat which can aggravate laryngitis.