Article written by Behavior Disorders
Influenza also referred to as flu is a clinical condition which is caused due to infection from influenza viruses. These viruses mainly affect the upper respiratory tract, nose and throat and can spread to the lungs and bronchi. Influenza is highly contagious and is a widespread disease.
Symptoms of influenza are:
- Chills, fever, headache and severe muscular pain.
- Inflammation of the throat and nose which may spread to the windpipe of the lungs causing sore throat, cough and running nose and eyes.
- Rise in body temperature to 39 degree Celsius or to 40 degree Celsius in severe conditions.
- Constant weakness and fatigues that lasts for weeks.
Causes of influenza are:
- Viral infection
- Accumulation of toxins in the body.
- Dietetic errors and faulty lifestyle like lack of exercise, overwork, living in stuffy room etc.
- Direct contact with an individual suffering from influenza.
Home remedies to cure influenza are:
- Half teaspoon of long pepper mixed with two teaspoon of honey and half teaspoon of ginger juice and consumed thrice a day. This remedy works great if taken at initial stages of the sickness and also helps prevent complication that rest from onset of the disease such as larynx and bronchial tube involvement.
- Consuming garlic regularly is also beneficial as it has antiseptic properties.
- Turmeric mixed with a cup of warm milk and drank three times a day also help prevent any complications arising from influenza.
- Three or four teaspoon of onion juice mixed with honey and taken daily also helps treating influenza.
- A decoction of ginger juice and fenugreek seed mixed with some honey will help increase sweating and reduce the chances of fever.
- Grapefruit is also beneficial as it tones up the body and the digestive tract.
- Green leaves of basil plant boiled along with some ginger and water and drank as tea gives immediate relief from influenza.
- Fumigation of burnt flour of finger millet inhaled gently is also beneficial to treat influenza. It increase blood circulation in the nasal mucosa and reduces local congestion and opens stuffed nose.
Home remedies for patients suffering from influenza are:
- Drinking only fruits and raw vegetable juices and avoiding intake of solid food.
- Consuming only fruits for two to three days as well as drinking milk is beneficial.
- A well balance diet of natural foods i.e. fresh fruits and raw vegetables should be maintained.
- Avoid spicy food, alcohol, tobacco, strong tea and coffee, highly seasoned meat, over boiled milk, pulses, potatoes, rice, cheese and tinned food.
Warm water enema should be taken daily for first three to five days. Cold packs can be applied on the body to normalize the body temperature and prevent fever.